Full Project (PDF):
Reduce need for human work inside wingbox, increasing efficiency, safety and decreasing costs.
Design and simulate robotic arms that can properly apply sealant to the inside of an airplane’s wingbox
- Design robot arms whose end effector can apply sealant.
- Using information from the test bed and other sources, define proper positioning and articulation of sealant applicator.
- Create CAD models that represent Boeing wingboxes.
- Model and simulate three sealant application robots.
- Determine viability of different designs and make recommendations to Boeing.
Accomplishments / Test Results
- Created a simulation environment inside of Robotic Operating Environment and created an easy to distribute Virtual Machine.
- Tested 3 arm designs inside of the simulation environment.
Manufacturing, Automation, and Control